- the factors that influence the initiation, direction, intensity, & persistence of behavior
- Motive the actual reason or purpose for a behavior
The force that
- nenergizes behavior
- ndirects behavior
- ncauses behavior to persist
Indicators of Motivation
- High Activity level
- Increased rate of learning
- Higher level of performance
- Greater persistence or continuity and organized pattern of activities
- Disrupt effort in other activities
- Make choices
- Behavior that satisfies a motive
Intrinsic / Extrinsic Motivation
involves engaging in activity for its own sake, in absence of external reward.
involves engaging in activity for some external consequence .
Over justification – Mark Lepper … when individual feels justified in doing something cause there are a lot of external rewards, person doe not feel as internally motivated for engaging in the behavior.